Tel: (818) 347-9665 PST

TheMuseumSFV@gmail.com

www.TheMuseumSFV.org




Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Visiting Henry Van Wolf's Fernando Statue in Van Nuys

I noticed in the Daily News that its time for the Fernando Award nominations.  That reminded me of a recent trip to the Van Nuys Civic Center to get a closer look at sculptor Henry Van Woolf's Fernando statue.  My curiosity was piqued by a Van Nuys booster publication in the museum's collection.
Van Nuys Chamber of Commerce publication 1973
Courtesy of Penny Meyer

I was struck at first by the absence of trees and then the positioning of the statue struck me.  
Is the statue still in that same location?


No.  Fernando has definitely moved.

This is actually the same angle as the 1973 photo (minus the fisheye).

 I had never stopped to read Fernando's story before.

In 1959, Casa de Cadillac's Martin Pollard was the first recipient of the Fernando Award.
Who will be added for 2015? 

No comments: